Hyper-V Review

There is a tremendous ease of use due to the familiarity with Microsoft.

How has it helped my organization?

There is an ease of use, and it is able to deploy it because there are people throughout my country of South Africa that all understand Microsoft. They can easily fire up a virtual environment because they are familiar with Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility and API are the most valuable features. It helps us be able to integrate with other systems and then push data easily. It has 100% functionality and speed.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be more user friendly. In addition, the documentation and security could use improvement.

Some customers have been complaining of running into Immobility Licensing Restrictions. They were running on an ELA, and there was no flexibility with a volume license agreement.

In addition, it would be nice to have the ability to assign more dynamically, like VM-ware does. Furthermore, it would be nice to return the SRM feature back into Hyper-V so that you're not looking at a virtual box which is a cheap version, but that you're looking at enterprise, you're looking at VM-ware. If this could be placed into a one-button feature, that would be very attractive.

It is scalable. For me, it's all about getting the right architecture approval before even looking at Hyper-V layer and then virtualizing where we can, but if not, we go physical. At the same time, it'll all be on a Microsoft platform, hence why I have Hyper-V.

The initial setup was complex. When compared to firing up a virtual box, there are too many prompts.

The pricing is not an issue for us because we have a licensing agreement with Microsoft. So we are given an 80% discount.

What other advice do I have?

If I was going to a demo, and somebody had given me an iPhone and I had to quickly gut it, my first choice would not be Hyper-V. It is not a user-friendly solution.

I would say the ability to assign more dynamically, like VM-ware does. And the SRM feature to be brought back into Hyper-V so that you're not looking at virtual box which is a cheap version, but that you're looking at enterprise, you're looking at VM-ware. But if there was one button to move everything over to the new system, if that could be put in as a feature
then it would be very attractive.