Hyper-V Review

Costly yet it gives a 360 degree view of the environment

What is our primary use case?

We use the Hypervisor and manage the VMs. We then get a 360 degree view of the infrastructure, hardware, networking, storage, VMs, and more.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to integrate the Hypervisor center from one console.

What needs improvement?

The cost and licensing can be improved.

More than five years.

It is a very stable product.

We have servers in several African countries. All of the management of the infrastructure is done through the system's center. We have about 400 users who are currently using this solution. It is definitely scalable.

We used to use GenServer. Unfortunately, GenServer does not support a 10-gigabyte network, but Hyper-V does. This was a major factor in our switch to Hyper-V.

The deployment was straightforward. It took us about one week for each site. This included Hyper-V and the entire infrastructure.

In terms of the licensing, if you are using Microsoft Windows 100%, it is okay, but, when you start mixing other environments it becomes quite tricky.

We have seriously considered Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor. It is more cost-effective.

What other advice do I have?

Unfortunately, due to cost, we have begun to look at other products in the market.