IBM API Connect Review

Provides integration with multiple services, security, and monitoring. I would like to see more caching and monitoring features.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are:

• Integration with multiple services,
  • Providing security,
  • Being able to monitor, and
  • Enabling customers using the secure gateway.

How has it helped my organization?

We belong to the healthcare industry, so it is beneficial to implement the API Connect solution to provide APIs that can integrate outside and inside our organization. It also provides overall solutions, i.e., API-based solutions to all the customers that we have.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more caching and monitoring features implemented in future releases. It also needs to be a more customizable and flexible product.

In terms of stability, we are still prototyping the product. We have the older version, which is now stable, but the current version or the new version, that we are still prototyping, is still not 100% stable.

The scalability is pretty good.

We have used technical support. I would probably give them a 7/10 rating.

I was involved a little bit with the installation process. I found it complex, as there were lots of configurations involved in setting up the infrastructure and that everyone didn't have experience with.

We looked at several other solutions, i.e., both IBM and non-IBM products. However, since we had already used IBM DataPower, we thought we could reuse the same infrastructure. API Connect has DataPower built-in to it, thus we tried to reuse some of the existing functionalities.

The most important criteria while selecting a vendor are the product's support and operations.

What other advice do I have?

Our company is an early adopter of this product so I would advise, at this point, to wait and then implement the solution.