IBM B2B Integrator Review

Used to manage your trading partner's community and connections centrally.

How has it helped my organization?

There are many benefits of this product.

One unique instance was when the transaction mapping and transmissions both happened in the same application.

We were able to translate the transaction from X12 to the application and vice versa. We were also able to communicate with the internal as well as the external application, i.e., with various up-to-date protocols available in the market.

What is most valuable?

The IBM B2B Integrator tool, as the name suggests, can be used to manage your trading partner's community and connections centrally, from one single application.

What needs improvement?

With the most recent releases of this product, the installation and administration have become much more complex.

After SI v5.2.4 there are major changes happened to the product with some new features and capabilities., which in turn are good. With features like advance communication, High Availability etc. installation and management of the tool has become little complex. Introduction of installation manager was not a conventional method of B2Bi installation. Everything comes with the price. If you want your infrastructure to be up to date and available all the time, Complexity is something you have to take up with it.

I would like to see that more simplified for the users.

I have used this solution for more than 10 years now. I still think its pretty good and up to the date solutions for many but not limited to MFT, EDI etc.solutions

We have not experienced any major issues in terms of the stability. There is continuous support that we receive from IBM.

There were no scalability issues.

The technical support is excellent, as long as you are covered with your contract.

I was not involved in the initial setup, as it was done in 2005. However, I was part of the upgrade many times. As we are moving forward, it has started to become a complex procedure.

The pricing is a bit on the higher side for a small organization. If you have a large organization and have scope for using other IBM products, then you have a chance to negotiate with them.

We did not evaluate any other products before the choosing this one.

During the upgrade, we gave a thought to the Oracle Managed File Transfer (MFT) solution for the same purpose.

What other advice do I have?

You should evaluate your business, as the statistics play an important role in deciding about this product. If you study the requirements in detail, then you will reduce the chances of failure quite a bit.

More IBM B2B Integrator reviews from users
...who compared it with Mule Anypoint Platform
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Seeburger, Software AG and others in Business-to-Business Middleware. Updated: March 2021.
473,792 professionals have used our research since 2012.
3 Comments

author avatarJUNE TEBARTS
Top 20Real User

Did you actually use the Installation Manager? We have to upgrade from 5.6 to the latest version and am debating whether to use the Installation Manager.

author avatarAtul Thombare
Top 20Real User

I guess from 5.2 onwards it is mandatory to use installation manager. if you are upgrading from existing version, there are ways to update response files and use it for the upgrade. you can find the details on IBM documentation page.

I hope it helps

author avatarJUNE TEBARTS
Top 20Real User

We've never had much luck with upgrades. We just do a clean install every time on new servers and import all the BPs, maps, envelopes, certs, and custom properties files, etc. Once everything is running fine with no issues, we then decommission the old servers.