IBM Blueworks Live Review

Very good blueprinting functionality and an easy initial setup, but the fonts are very small

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for business process modeling.

What is most valuable?

The business process discovery is excellent. The diagram or blueprinting functionality of the solution are very good. It's quite easy. You can link the sub-processes and get a big overview of the whole process then.

What needs improvement?

In relation to sub-process links, the design is poor. On one process you can link back, but the system doesn't link it to the activity directly. It's not that obvious to people, and because of this, they have to read the different notes to find out more.

The font size is really, really small and it's really not useful to print out process models because you cannot read what's written in different boxes. This makes it necessary for people to have access to the tool. We view licenses to see how the printing or output is. It's not very good.

Process diagrams can sometimes be confusing. The starting point is at the bottom of the page and not on the top of the page where it actually should be.

It would be good if the control points were visible right away on your progress map.

I've been using the solution for about six months.

I've found the solution to be quite stable. It's never crashed or anything when I've been using it.

The solution can be used quite widely within different departments. This requires a bit of work for the administrator as they'd need to design different folders and access to them, but it is a scalable solution. Right now, in our company, we have about 50 users on it. Most are editors or contributors. I'm unsure as to if we plan to increase usage.

This solution is currently replacing Microsoft Vizio or other office tools such as PowerPoint, Word, or Excel within our organization.

The initial setup is easy. The solution is easy to use and doesn't require that much training. For deployment, we have a two-hour training session for users. We didn't deploy in an organized way because we weren't in a hurry to start using the tools. It could have been done better on our side, but even so, it was pretty straightforward. In total, it may have taken us two days to set it up.

The initial training was handled by a consultant.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model with IBM as the provider.

If you are planning to use the tool wisely, it's a good idea to name conventions, terminology, and structures around doing so right at the beginning. Considering how you will use the tool will help ensure it won't get too messy. During the discovery phase, it's a good idea to create discovery tables. It will help keep you organized.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.