IBM BPM Review

GUI designer feature enables creation of elegant, user-friendly, performant graphical interfaces

What is most valuable?

I would say that I like its GUI designer the best. Using it, I have created elegant, user-friendly, and performant end-user graphical interfaces that allow end users to complete their tasks in the most enjoyable and easy way.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented it on our own attendance system. Employees have been able to record hours for projects much more easily and HR can view various statistics, reports about it.

What needs improvement?

Installation and configuration could be simplified. Performance on large scale requirements could also be improved.

Five years.

Not really. Not that I can remember.

No. Scalability is actually a strong point of IBM BPM because it is designed to run on IBM WebSphere which can be scaled up easily if required.

IBM technical support is great. Customers can receive very good support from business partners too.

We did have experience with other solutions such as Appian, jBPM, Activiti BPM. We switched to IBM BPM primarily because we had customer demand for that product, and it has been that way since.

Like I said, IBM BPM installation and configuration, migration, and upgrading can be a bit complex because you need to deal with a large set of data that involves databases. And product metadata always needs to be in good shape.

Usually, it's best for customers to start out with the Express edition to understand and see what value the product provides. Then they can upgrade to Advanced if their requirements increase and they know how to use the product properly. Starting out with Express can also help reduce the cost for adopting the product.

Yes. Appian, jBPM, Activiti BPM, Camunda, Bonita BPM, Pega BPM.

What other advice do I have?

This product is fully capable of enabling organisations to achieve business process improvement goals. Although, like any software project, IBM BPM can fail if you're not doing it right.

You must have business buy-in before a BPM project can start. A BPM project will be more likely to be successful if executives understand and appreciate the value it can provide.

Also, you need a strong partner to help with the technical stuff; building up a satisfactory IBM BPM solution requires skill.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: IBM Business Partner.