IBM Case Foundation Review

Stable and scalable but is about to be phased out by IBM

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in relation to the designing process for clients.

What needs improvement?

My understanding is that IBM is actually shutting down the solution. They're moving to something called Digital Business Automation because Case Foundation uses a workflow engine that is relatively outdated. They haven't updated it in seven years. Instead, they're moving to a new line of products. They do the same thing but in a more modern and flexible way. A newer version will need better security, email integration, and scripting.

The service as it currently stands is out-of-date and lacks flexibility.

I've been using the solution for 2.5 years.

The stability of the solution is okay.

The solution is scalable.

If an organization does a base installation, it's not that complex to set it up.

The problem is that instructions are not that easy to come by and not really available or very helpful if you can find them.

To get the project running completely, meaning implementing an actual solution completely for a customer, that will depend on what the customer wants. This can be extremely complex for certain clients.

The main deployment may take one to two weeks, however, full implementation can be anywhere from three months to a full year.

The customer plays a big role in implementation. For example, at the beginning of the project, you do a business analysis with them and collect data. They approve the design and everything else after that. You may run into problems where the customer changes the design as the project rolls out. That extends the project drastically.

The solution isn't really the type of product that provides ROI. It's more of a support product; it's not aimed for financial gains or savings. Its purpose is very intangible. You allow employees to apply for leave easier, or you optimize your correspondence, which doesn't really translate to ROI.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model. We're an IBM partner. We have about six projects ongoing in which we are implementing the solution for clients.

As this solution is being phased out, I'd advise others to go with something newer. Also, be sure you do a proper design study before implementing a solution.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten. In terms of rolling out deployments, it's good and there aren't really any bugs. However, it has a general lack of features.