IBM CICS Review

A high-performing and reliable solution with mixed language support

What is our primary use case?

It's only THE most successful software product of all time, on any platform.

Worldwide, CICS processes approximately 1.6 million transactions per second, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.  You can bet that every banking, financial, investment, and insurance transaction that runs anywhere in the world is going to touch CICS at some point in its path.

How has it helped my organization?

There simply is no other platform that is capable of matching it in terms of processing capacity, flexibility, and reliability/availability.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are speed, resiliency, evolution, and mixed language support.

What needs improvement?

I'd like for the CPSM component to be more flexible in terms of maintenance deployment.  Some of the constraints it imposes on rolling out preventive service can complicate the process in a large systems complex (sysplex) consisting of many logical partitions (LPARs).

I have been using this solution for more than forty years.

It runs on mainframes.  Nothing else need be said.

Considering that it runs on both the 'smallest' DOS/VSE system to the largest zOS Parallel Sysplex configurations in the world (I know of one customer who manages over 20,000 distinct CICS instances), I'd have to say that its scalability is unmatched on any platform.

In my experience, the support structure and personnel beginning with level 1 all the way up to and including the architectural and development team at IBM are the best and most capable of any that exist on the planet.

Considering that in 1969 when CICS was first deployed, there *was* no other solution, no.

Standard SMP/e installation process.

In house