IBM Cognos Controller Review

We can create a subset out of one report itself but the interface needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our daily scheduled reports.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can bifurcate or clear reports. This is on the date ranges.

If there's already a scheduled report and we want a subset of that report, that can also be created. So we do not have to schedule a new report or create a new subscription for that. At this rate, we can create a subset out of one report itself.

What needs improvement?

IBM should work on a little flexibility and user-friendliness, in the current interface. It looks very rigid and hard to read. We need to give flexibility to the user in the current situation.

They should have a new interface where you have all the data elements there and a user can pick up the fields of metric that they want to look at and they can just build their own report on a go. A report on the go kind of thing is what I would suggest.

We've been using it for the last twenty years.

It is very stable.

Cost is definitely a factor in terms of scalability, but it does have the feasibility or the scalability. The only thing is the cost.

I have not used technical support.

The initial setup is a little tricky. I'm not too sure whether it's within our organization or it's a whole world thing. If a user has to get into Cognos, the setup, the play around, and all, it is difficult. It is a little challenging to get into.

Pricing is on the higher side, frankly speaking. Our team size is going up and we want to scale it up to give it to our analytics team. It's definitely costly.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good tool. You don't get much more out of Cognos than what it is marketed for. We need to have tutorials. If a user is training or they go online and try to see what we are looking at and all, we get a lot of material. That material should be on the tool somewhere. There's no formal training that happens in the organization for Cognos.

There should be some kind of documentation on Cognos itself, which can help users to move within the Cognos and try to evaluate and use a couple of features that are there.

In the next release, I would like to see reports on the go. We need to pull in some kind of a report or something. A report on a go could be a good feature where a user can pull out anything that they want to, and they don't have to wait for scheduling it or subscribing to that particular report. During the checkup, they know that those fields are already available within Cognos.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.