IBM Cognos Review
Cognos is the most stable BI environment, but it gets far too complex for advanced setup.

Valuable Features

There are too many features I like in Cognos to mention, but the most valuable one is a tool has a new set of features called Cognos Insight. It need a separate article to talk about.

Improvements to My Organization

As a consultant, I have seen many cases where Cognos has helped organizations to increase business performance, and support managers in decision making.

Room for Improvement

The main improvement required is to help users with the full vision about the product according to their need. Also, the scale of the stuff on their website that is hidden needs to be changed. They also a need technical person who is very interested in the product, and understands it. The technical stuff is improving too fast, and the IBM lab is working too hard.

Use of Solution

I have been using it for more than five years.

I can't remember any issues I have faced that I have not been able to resolve through their website.

I believe that Cognos is the most stable BI environment.

Cognos has the most scalable options in the market. It has options for all, from personal users, to the most complex enterprise organizations.

Customer service is fair compared with the abilities and size of the product.

I would rate it as 7/10 as it is rare to find unknown issues that have no resolution, but if you find one, or you did something wrong, and try to get help it will take some time.

I used Microsoft BI and I switch to Cognos when I found that I wasn't able to satisfy some customers needs.

The setup now is straightforward. The complexity decreased by time until it reached a very good level, but it gets far too complex for advanced setup.

Other Solutions Considered

We also looked at Microsoft BI.

Other Advice

Before you start, request advice so you can select the most suitable option for you. You should do this because there are too many options in this product and you may pay for features that you will never use.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners
3 visitors found this review helpful

10 Comments

it_user254652Real User

Great article, I agree with but I have concern in stability, I've some feature worked well in some environments and not in others with no reasons.

Like (2)14 June 15
it_user254682Real User

This is a nice article.

Like (0)14 June 15
it_user250983ConsultantPOPULAR

Cognos is full of options and features which sometimes are based on specific system requirements. Another issue is the old versions installations because there were many heddin details that you need to care about after installation.
As example others is encryption key which expire by default after one year so if your system date has issue or you spend the one year you will suddenly find your system is not working fine.

Like (0)14 June 15

BI platforms should be simple, but able to handle the complex. My comment is, of course, not rocket science, but sometimes we lose our way when trying to everything to everyone.

Like (1)14 June 15

Loved the article but, please go over the information again. The information is not explanatory enough (more details are needed) and the comments need to flow more concisely .

Like (0)16 June 15
it_user250983ConsultantPOPULAR

Thanks Chris Sault for your review and comment, Cognos one of the most business user friendly BI environment that can solve very complex business cases, The cognos complexity come when you want to setup distributed environment, This is not business user task and you need architect
In one case I found the whole organization work for more that 6 years with cognos with no technical experience at all,they just had a training and the business user were doing great job.

it_user250983ConsultantPOPULAR

Thanks for all reviewers and I will try to add more details for this review.

Diego HidalgoReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

I think that Cognos is a comprehensive suite for bi, with a user interface quite friendly, I think that's the difference from the rest.

Like (1)18 June 15
it_user250983ConsultantPOPULAR

Tottaly agree with you Diego, But Cognos has much differences. As I mentioned for example Cognos insight which can work as standalone BI on memory tool for small environment or even as dashboard design and TM1 client. Which has no equivalent in any other BI solution, as per my knowledge.
I hope to hear more from you if have another thoughts.
Thanks for your visit

Like (0)18 June 15

Can not agree more with you review.

Like (1)21 August 15