Flexibility: It offers a variety of technical solutions to better satisfy each customer’s needs and scenarios.
IBM Cognos BI (version 10) is a suite of different modules for reporting and analysis:
- Report Studio: This is the most powerful and sophisticated tool for professional reporting.
- Workspace Advanced: A mid-powerful tool, to create reports of medium complexity.
- Query Studio: An easy tool to quickly create ad-hoc queries (with a simple list, or crosstab, or chart).
- Analysis Studio: A simple tool to create analysis (like pivot-tables in Excel).
- Workspace: A very basic tool to build and show dashboards using other reports components.
- Metric Studio: A tool to create scorecards showing trends for corporate KPI and metrics.
- Event Studio: A tool that notifies the user of events happening in corporate data.
Each of them is perfect for a specific need.
For the metadata modeling activity, as well, Cognos offers several modeling tools:
- Framework Manager: The most flexible and used tool for metadata modeling.
- Transformer: The tool to create multi-dimensional cubes (MOLAP cubes).
- Cube Designer: The tool to create dynamic cubes (ROLAP cubes).
- Metric Designer: The tool to create data packages to be used by Metric Studio to create scorecards.
Depending on how much data has to be analyzed (or other factors), the modeler will decide which modeling tool to use.