IBM Cognos Review

Common definitions for attributes or metrics are stored as metadata. The user experience could be better in places.

What is most valuable?

• Common metadata repository: The most valuable feature is a single and integrated view of any number of heterogeneous data sources through a business perspective. In short, for any attribute or metric defined, a common definition is stored as metadata and available for all other components of Cognos.
  • Scalability
  • Stability
  • Performance

What needs improvement?

The Cognos Analysis Studio and Cognos Query Studio user interface has room for improvement in the area of user experience. Some of the functions are hard to find and complicated to use, but we're talking about advanced functions rarely used.

I have used it for two years.

The product is very stable.

The product offers enough capabilities for a proper scalable setup.

Technical support is adequate.

We previously used Oracle Discoverer. Cognos' HTML user interface was the main reason we switched.

Initial setup is straightforward, with minor problems in the area of configuring data source connectors. Because the product uses a JDBC data interface, the administrator needs to be familiar with JDBC.

The licensing model had changed from the past and currently needs more flexibility in the area of advanced users. Other products make no difference between the user types. The licensing model should be usage based.

QlikView and Oracle OBIEE were tested.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an IBM partner and implementer.
More IBM Cognos reviews from users