IBM Cognos Review

The burst ability allows us to control the prompting activity and automate monthly reporting to our end users.

What is most valuable?

• The ability to burst. It allows us to control the prompting activity and automate monthly reporting to our end users as we mass distribute to almost 900 end users.
  • The GUI design interface is intuitive.

How has it helped my organization?

• We are able to rapidly communicate financial reporting and statements for reconciliation purposes.
  • People are able to self serve with the provided authoring tools.

What needs improvement?

• The visualization tools have greatly improved but the active reports still need help.
  • The build process of linking the variables can be a bit complex, especially for newbies.
  • The ability to secure on the downloaded dataset that feeds the active report is prohibitive of its widespread use.

We have used the solution for seven years.

I would rate the technical support at about 5/10. We continue to struggle with IBM provided first or second time correct responses to cases we have open. Cases can drag on for months before resolution.

I am not aware of any previous solutions.

The setup was complex. We built scripts to create and configure at a redundant server level.

The prodict is expensive.

We evaluated Oracle OBIEE and Jaspersoft.

What other advice do I have?

Investigate the cloud option for savings in maintenance and patching.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are research partners.