Ibm

IBM Cognos Review
Report Studio is most valuable to me, mainly for the active reporting feature as our CEO loves the instant reporting.

Valuable Features

Improvements to My Organization

The product takes away the need for mundane reporting via Excel spreadsheets freeing up the business areas to concentrate on growing the business.

Room for Improvement

Every product on the market can be improved, but I would like IBM to stop trying to compete with the smaller players in the market, rushing out versions that nobody wants to migrate to because the version seems unstable.

Use of Solution

I’ve been using the Cognos product since 2006; since the old ReportNet days.

We did not encounter any specific stability issues. Like every product, you need to carry some sort of monthly maintenance to make sure that the platform runs smoothly.

We did not encounter any scalability issues. As long as you are following the guidelines set by IBM you should be ok.

If you have a contact within IBM then things are great, but some of the IBM partners (in my opinion) don’t offer the same high standard, (there are gaps in their knowledge).

We never used another solution.

The installation was quite straight forward. But the webserver setup can be a bit tricky.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Recently, IBM have changed the way they package the licensing (which so far seems to give us a better understanding of what we are paying for). The product can seem quite pricey compared to other suitors in the BI arena.

Other Solutions Considered

We looked at Microsoft SSRS. But on look and feel, it didn’t give us that professional outlook.

Other Advice

If you are new to the product and want to implement a reporting tool that will be free from issues, get an experienced consultant.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About IBM Cognos?

Our experts can help. 239,056 professionals have used our research on 5,957 solutions.