IBM Cognos Review

Enables us to remove inefficiencies, produce very complex reports

What is our primary use case?

It's performed very, very well. Its primary use is reporting from all our systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It's enabled us to report directly from our main application systems. We're removing islands of data and we're removing inefficiencies, where people or small divisions had their own store of information.

What is most valuable?

Reliability and strength of product. It's proven to be very robust. It's been great.

What needs improvement?

I think the GIS pieces maybe not as good as we would like.

More than five years.

Very good. It's very reliable. Very stable. Gives us very little trouble.

Very good. We've been able to add more systems to it and it has no performance problems. We've recently got some guys to rejig it and we've got a lot more performance out of it. We're very pleased. It's clearly an enterprise product.

I haven't used it but the team has. I think they found it very helpful, and got back to them in a reasonable period of time.

We were previously using three or four different solutions. We've had Cognos for 10, 12 years, so it's going back quite a bit of history. But yes, we had different solutions. We're a government organization, so we went out to tender and got Cognos and we're very pleased with the results.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly give it a nine out of 10, and I could be persuaded to give them a 10. It's very good. Done lots of things we needed it to do, some very, very complex reports. It's been able to develop them. It's delivered them. Very impressed.

Make sure you understand what you want to do with the tool, and make sure you have a good budget to make sure it's successfully implemented.