HCL Connections Review

The file sharing functionality supports offline syncing. Admins don't have full access to the back end.

What is most valuable?

File sharing, especially within the communities, is a valuable feature. We have a disaster team and as far as I know, they're using this file sharing functionality, especially now that they can also sync offline. That's something that they wanted from the beginning, so it is valuable for them.

How has it helped my organization?

Collaboration in itself is a positive value.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see more statistics and have full access to files and communities. Especially with the communities; because when a community owner leaves, it's kind of problematic. As an admin, with offline or on-premise solutions, we have a lot of power and we can respond when there's an issue or if there are any access issues. However, with cloud solutions, it's more limited for us.

It's quite stable and there is no downtime.

The downside for me, as an admin, is that the admins don't have that much of power in the back end/background, i.e., not much power in terms of the access, tweaking and changing the settings. I feel it is not that much scalable.

We have used the technical support. It took us some time to resolve issues. It could be better.

We did not have any on-premise solutions, so the cloud version was the beginning.

Initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

You should do a thorough analysis before applying any solution, compare different products and look at the costs. If it's not going to save costs, then it is not worth it. Cost is not everything but it's a major factor. So, it is important to do a thorough research and ask the businesses about the product.

The roadmap - i.e., where the product is going to be, in probably a year or two - is an important criteria whilst selecting a vendor.