IBM dashDB Review

The "prefetch" feature anticipates needed data and keeps it available. BLU acceleration determines what data is unqualified for analysis and skips it.

What is most valuable?

IBM has taken a new approach to database technology.

One of the most amazing features of dashDB is how it uses compression to get results in lighting speed. dashDB uses advanced processing which doesn't require the entire dataset to fit in memory.

Prefetching of data: Has the ability to anticipate and "prefetch" data just before it's needed and to automatically adapt to keep necessary data in, or close, to the CPU.

No Decompression Required: dashDB preserves the order of data and performs a broad range of operations including joins and predicate evaluations on compressed data, without the need for decompression, drastically speeding the processing of data.

Data Skipping: dashDB's BLU acceleration automatically determines which data would not qualify for analysis within a particular query, enabling large chunks of data to be skipped.

How has it helped my organization?

I believe that many organizations need to look at how they are servicing their customers. dashDB doesn't necessarily replace your existing infrastructure. However, as an add-on, you can now expand your overall operations and performance goals.

What needs improvement?

Every product has room for improvement. This is one of the most important things that comes to mind about IBM and their mind set when it comes to managing customers using dashDB.

As a fully managed cloud service, the day-to-day backend of maintaining dashDB is taken care of for you. This is not only limited to whatever fix packs may or may not be applied (these actually become irrelevant because you never know that that they have occurred until you read the tech docs), but also the versioning.

With dashDB, IBM engineers and developers are continuously building new functionality, compatibility and integrations into the product and for you; this happens automatically

I have been using dashDB for about two years now. I have seen the progression of the software and service and it has been amazing to see.

We did have stability issues. Of course, I believe that all of the issues were self-induced. IBM support was able to advise, as well as modify, my instance of dashDB in order for maximum performance.

We have not had scalability issues. I tried to anticipate this. However, IBM has you covered in this respect as it is dedicated.

I would rate the level of dashDB support 3.5/5. While they are very knowledgeable in many areas, you can still struggle to get the correct resolution.

I have used multiple legacy databases, such as MS SQL Server, Oracle, and DB2. While there is still, and will be, a need for the traditional RDBMS, there is a new breed of database technology erupting in the market place. dashDB is a logical choice for any consumer.

The setup of dashDB is very straightforward. To be honest, you can have an instance of the database up and running in less than 10 minutes.

Do your research before signing up. There are many options when it comes to dashDB and you should try to anticipate growth. However, with compression, I find most can leverage the 1TB dedicated environment.

I didn't look at alternatives. I have been blue washed!

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to find a good partner of IBM's in order to help implement. There can be many unknowns and you want to make sure you research prior to any implementation.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a partner of IBM. I am also an ex-IBMer.