IBM dashDB Review

It has enabled us to offer cloud data warehouse solutions on a 100% IBM stack.

What is most valuable?

The cloud DBMS solution is most valuable to us.

How has it helped my organization?

Since my company is an IBM partner, it has enabled us to offer cloud data warehouse solutions on a 100% IBM stack.

What needs improvement?

The support channels need to improve. Also the documentation is a bit light.

I have used this solution for around nine months.

In the very beginning, we had some stability issues but that was more due to a misunderstanding on the licensing side than due to the platform itself. Since then, it's been up 99.9% of the times.

We have not had to deal with this yet. My client has bought the smallest option, i.e., 1TB. We understand that this is scalable but my first client is unlikely to need anything more than this.

I would rate the technical support a 7/10.

Previously, we haven't used any other solution. This is a net new solution for my client. They were managing all BI on-premises but with our move to an enterprise data warehouse build, cloud was chosen due to ease of management and no additional headcount required to manage the platform or infrastructure.

The setup was very easy, once the licensing issues were cleared up. It took one initial technical support call to get all the needed information. The rest of the tools and documentation are all on a single site co-resident with the basic SQL browser and database management console.

I was not involved in the licensing but I'd advise doing your best comparison with similar platforms. If you are looking to go 100% IBM (IBM Cognos and other IBM tools as well as cloud database and analytics), it should be easier from the support and contractual standpoint.

We did not evaluate other cloud options. We just looked at other on-premises databases like Microsoft SQL Server and the Oracle solution.

What other advice do I have?

Take advantage of the 30 day trial and do a PoC with your real use cases.

Benchmark performance for loads but keep in mind that fast reads are what this platform excels at. There are also extensions and built-in statistical tools like the R that you may want to experiment with.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an IBM premier partner, but we are not an exclusive IBM shop since we support other analytics tools.