IBM dashDB Review

The way that it scales will help a lot of customers, but tech support for it is awful.

How has it helped my organization?

The warehouse DB/dashDB implementation scales a lot better that IBM BLU does. It will also be MPP, so performance should improve.

What is most valuable?

Ease of migration from Netezza DB. IBM ported over all Netezza's functionality and made the warehouse DB/dashDB the best of breed of the two.

What needs improvement?

Right now, we are implementing on ESX VMware 6.0. Support for this platform is poor. Also, one of the backup/recovery options is broken and IBM is not addressing the issue.

Still implementing.

Yes, containers get corrupted very easily. Restoring them using GPFS can result in a lot of issues.

No scalability issues.

The way that it scales will help a lot of customers that are stuck with Netezza boxes that can't grow any larger.

Tech support for dashDB is awful. We usually have tickets open for three to four weeks.

This database will be a replacement of an IBM BLU database. We are migrating several TBs worth of data.

We used ESX VMware 6.0. IBM does not really understand this product or the setup process for sharing disks.

Not sure yet.

If your going to go with warehouse DB/dashDB, use the cloud or Sailfish version.