IBM DataPower Gateway Review

Robust, good tools that make it easy to work with and install

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for exposing services to our partners.

What is most valuable?

What I like most is the stability.

What needs improvement?

There is quite a lot that needs improvement. It's a very complex product and it takes time to get to control it and to know it. It's all about gaining knowledge in it.

Also, the maintenance procedure of the physical machines and physical appliances is quite complicated, and there are some issues with it. Sometimes, when we deal with the maintenance process because the machine isn't booting, it comes down to working with support in the middle of the night.

The two biggest issues of this solution are the complexity and the maintenance procedures.

In the next release, I would like to see it easier to deeply, easier automated processes, easier maintenance, easier control, better monitoring, and I would like the information or knowledge documentation to be more accessible.

I have been working with IBM DataPower Gateway for six years.

Its stability is one of the best features.

We have a pretty low load. We have not had to scale it.

We have quite a few users in our organizations.

We don't have plans to increase usage in DataPower, only with IBM API Connect.

We don't have local support, we are in Isreal and it takes longer.

Technical support needs improvement. It is not always easy to connect with them.

We are also using IBM API Connect.

The differences are the portal and standards.

DataPower is a bit easier to work with. Also the analytics.

It has a set of tools that make life easier when it comes to developing APIs.

It's very straightforward. It has no automation and no modern tools to make it possible to develop quickly and to deploy it quickly. It's pretty much old-school.

The licensing cost is very expensive.

Other options were considered, but approximately three years ago, I reconsidered and decided to proceed with IBM.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend working on the physical appliance and not the virtual one. Consider the licensing aspect, and try to evaluate it three to five years ahead.

Also, look closely at the competition as there are now quite a few good competitors, and make sure the features suit you best.

I would rate IBM DataPower Gateway an eight out of ten.

More IBM DataPower Gateway reviews from users