IBM Db2 Database Review

Easy to set up and maintain but lacks backup capabilities

What is our primary use case?

I handle implementation. I install the Db2 Database before I send it to the developer or the application team. Also, sometimes, I have to migrate the database from one platform to another.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to install and simple to maintain. The most valuable aspect of the solution is its general user-friendliness for users of all kinds.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve the centralization aspect of the tools.

It would be ideal if the solution offered backup functionality. Many similar tools already do, which means Db2 is somewhat behind the curve in terms of what a customer might expect from it.

I'm an implementer of the solution in Thailand. I have been working with Oracle Db2 and SQL for more than 10 years.

The solution is stable so long as you don't have to make any changes to it. I haven't seen any bugs, or glitches on it. I haven't experienced crashes either.

The solution is quite scalable. A company shouldn't have issues with expanding it if they need to.

We typically implement the solution for small to medium-sized organizations.

Technical support is not the best. I would rate them five out of ten.

The issue is that in order to make a ticket, you may have to call and then you end up being on hold. Sometimes, the person who answers doesn't know how to resolve your issues so it can be frustrating.

I also have experience with Oracle databases. I find Oracle to be a bit better than Db2 if I'm honest. They have a lot of functionality, for example, and can handle backup and recovery of data. This is not possible on Db2.

The solution is very easy to set up. It's not complex at all.

Deployment takes about one to two hours or so. It's not a long or arduous process by any means.

You only need one person to deploy and maintain it.

I handle the implementation myself.

I don't know too much about the pricing of the solution. There may be extra fees on top of just the licensing fee. I'm not sure.

I'm looking at other databases right now. I'd prefer something with a backup functionality, which Db2 lacks.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently IBM partners.

I use the solution extensively.

I'd like other companies to know it's quite easy to set up and maintain. If they are looking for something fairly easy to jump into, this may be it.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

More IBM Db2 Database reviews from users