IBM Db2 Database Review

Good replication and technical support, but it is complex to set up and configure

What is our primary use case?

Db2 is our primary database for applications in our two data centers. We have a large number of financial transactions that happen every day, and Db2 handles our transaction management.

What is most valuable?

The asset properties are solid.

The replication is being done well. We have two data centers and the replication that they provide has almost no lag. The maximum lag that we have seen in the past two or three years is one second.

When something goes down, the recovery process is very good.

We are dealing with millions of transactions a month and the performance is very good.

The management is very simple.

What needs improvement?

We need to have a cloud-based version of this database.

It would be helpful to have a hybrid data storage facility that includes NoSQL technologies.

I have been using DB2 for the past ten years.

We have observed some glitches with the database when the amount of data is growing quickly. This is why we are moving toward a microservices architecture, where each service has its own database.

At this time, because our data is growing, the glitches are frequent.

We have about 4,000,000 requests daily.

We have had contact with IBM for technical support and they are good. Most of our products are from IBM.

I also have experience with Oracle.

The initial setup is complex and not easy to do. It was handled by the database administrators so I do not remember exactly how long the deployment took.

We have an internal database team who took care of the deployment.

We are currently in the process of migrating some of our models to the cloud, and we are looking for a cloud-based relational database.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of Db2 depends on your environment and needs. If you want to implement an on-premises monolithic application that can handle all of your transaction management then Db2 is a good choice.

The technical support is very good, and if you have multiple data centers, the applications are also good.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More IBM Db2 Database reviews from users