IBM Db2 Database Review

Relational database, integrates well, but horizontally scalability limited

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a database that connects to some legacy mainframe systems.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a very stable relational database and has integration with legacy systems. It is a great product.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more modern and have updated database technology. This would allow it to work with modern applications a lot more seamlessly. You will find that there are other better-suited databases where you can deal with more modern type applications.

In the future, they can improve by being closely aligned with the next generation of application that are arriving or that will be developed.

I have been using the solution for a couple of years.

I have found the solution to be scalable.

In my experience, the solution is able to be scaled vertically, but not horizontally. Everyone is using the solution in our organization.

The support we have received has been good. However, the support in South Africa has not been as good.

The installation on our side is automated, we can have a database up and ready within a day. Since we have started using automation, the installation has been very easy.

We did the deployment internally and it was not difficult but it could be for someone that is not familiar with the solution. We have eight technicians doing the deployment and maintenance of the solution.

There is a license for this solution and we pay every three years.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others if they have the proper application, otherwise, it might not fulfil their needs. We plan on using the solution in the future.

I rate IBM Db2 Database a seven out of ten.

More IBM Db2 Database reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle Database
Learn what your peers think about IBM Db2 Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.