IBM Db2 Review

We replicate TSM servers' databases to the other sites with the HADR feature.

What is most valuable?

We use DB2 HADR to replicate data on LAN to another site. It is easy to takeover to the other site. There is easy integration with TSM.

How has it helped my organization?

We replicate TSM servers' databases to the other sites with the HADR feature. We use HADR takeover to switch the TSM service to the other site.

What needs improvement?

• Automatic upgrade process (e.g., from v9.7 to v10.5) often fails.
  • Error messages are rarely unusable (e.g., I/O error -> instance upgrade was unsuccessful. You must issue an instance upgrade manually).
  • The same issue with the dialog messages, independent from LOGLEVEL.
  • A lot of irrelevant information (hexdumps, etc.)

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Technical support, works, but they are slow to get to the real experts, Level-2, who can really help. Level-1 support often asks for irrelevant data.

The initial setup was complex. There are InfoCenter Pages and TechNotes, but these only cover the "usual" cases. You need a lot of experience and/or support.

It depends on the customers. Often, DB2 is more expensive than Oracle on the same environment. There are those with more experience with Oracle, and it is hard to find DB2 DBAs, engineers, and experts.

We did not evaluate other options from a TSM server point of view, as there was no other way. From other way, we evaluated Oracle, which is cheaper and there are more people with Oracle-experience.

What other advice do I have?

Use InfoCenter, then DeveloperWorks, and the TechNotes. :) Do this in order to get experience.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Our company is an IBM Business Partner, first of all implementing and supporting Spectrum Protect environments.