IBM Db2 Review

We use it to provide for back-end DB for many proprietary applications.

What is most valuable?

We use it to provide for back-end DB for many proprietary applications. The most valuable features are reliability, performance, and portability across different platforms.

How has it helped my organization?

We have moved a lot of our applications off zOS to distributed platforms and IBM UDB DB2 has been extremely critical in our solution to provide for a scale-able, cost-effective and reliable DBMS solution on distributed platform.

The other advantage is we don't have to make lot of changes in the application DB2 access layer in order for it to work with IBM DB2 UDB. These applications have been originally designed to work with the host database (IBM DB2 zOS).

What needs improvement?

I would definitely like to see a better interface to interact with the database. Performance monitoring tools which come out of the box don't need to come along with all the bells and whistles. They need to be effective and intuitive. There are ways to do that out-of-box even today, but it can be improved

We have used this solution for over 15 years.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

The IBM Technical Support model is satisfactory.

We used XDB (Micro Focus RDBMS equivalent to DB2) which used to have scalability and reliability issues in our development environments. We switched to IBM UDB DB2 in our DEV environments on account of its reliability and scalability.

The setup was straightforward. However, the Linux setup can be improved.

I love the way the product is licensed on zOS and zLinux (core-based). However, IBM needs to improve their licensing for cloud environment, as we are planning to leverage that platform extensively in the future. Right now, the setup for AWS/Azure licensing is very confusing and not cost-effective.

We evaluated Oracle, but the ease of application re-hosting with IBM DB2, as well as its comparable reliability and scalability tilted it in favor of IBM DB2 UDB.

What other advice do I have?

For folks looking to re-host applications that are using zOS DB2, our advice is to strictly go with IBM UDB DB2. Do not consider other options, as they usually require extensive changes in the application layer.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are IBM's partner.