IBM Db2 Review

Has good scalability, availability, and upgrades easily

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-prem deployment model of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The scalability and availability of this solution are the most valuable features. It is a very stable product.

What needs improvement?

I don't have a general opinion about how they can improve this product. The performance could be improved.

I have 35 years of experience, almost 45 years of experience in ICT. From the start, I have used relational databases Db2 and Oracle, and so I am a good user of Db2 and relational database.

We have 2,000 ICT people and most of them are working on the operational part of the site. Minimum, there are 100 or 80 people working on the system database.

IBM offers very good support. They have maximum knowledge.

We previously used Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and MySQL which is an open-source database.

We did an installation 20 or 50 years ago. It's an old installation. The database engineer has a good level of competency in Db2 installation, it's very easy. They normally upgrade Db2 without any problem.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to somebody considering it. I would advise that if you are looking to install it, you should have internal competence and internal skill, don't only use external support that is provided by IBM. You should have internal knowledge and competency for Db2 management.

The performance is very critical. The software developer needs to have good knowledge of the programming technique in order to avoid the problem on the performance side.

The performance of Db2 depends on the system, on how you installed it. From the application part, it depends on how you developed code, how you wrote the code because if you write bad code you will have a serious performance problem.

Db2 is a very old product, but also a very stable product. It's really difficult to imagine something different from the actual configuration from the actual functionalities of its operation.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

1 visitor found this review helpful