IBM Db2 Review

Very stable and scalable but the pricing is not transparent

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for different banking systems.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable, in both hardware and database.

What needs improvement?

IBM just came out with new hardware in September, so they are getting ready for the cloud. If they can push through with all those features they're talking about, I think they have a good product lined up. Right now, the solution needs to have end-to-end encryption, to be cloud-ready, to have native support for Linux, and built-in data scientist workbenches. These are promised to us in the new release, and I hope that happens.

End-to-end encryption specifically is something the solution needs to have in the next release.

I've been using the solution since 1998.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is very scalable. We don't plan on increasing usage any time soon, however.

Technical support is good. they are pretty responsive.

We also use SAP HANA. These are two different applications, however, and they have different use cases. HANA runs on memory. Db2 is a much more mature, older technology with its own platform. HANA is not that new but it's not that old either. It's much faster for sure. The difference is one is in-memory computing, while the other is a traditional database on hardware on the IBM platform.

The setup is quite complex. The solution and the hardware build are two different events. The deployment itself doesn't take more than two weeks, followed by the setup which can take, depending on the organization and its processes, a few months to a year. It varies from client to client.

IBM assisted us with the deployment.

They're quite good at what they do. They never deliver on time or on budget. However, they know what they're doing, as it's their product.

The solution is pretty expensive and IBM isn't very transparent in their pricing plans. You need to be aware of what your company specifically needs before purchasing anything.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution a six out of ten.