IBM Db2 Review

Excellent availability, reliability, and consistency

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a major central relational database management system that maintains all of the data for our bank's core business.

What is most valuable?

The availability, reliability, consistency, security, performance, and methodology of the solution are all excellent. It's a proven product for many, many businesses in many, many different areas. It's probably one of the best products on the market.

The self-management and optimization features are probably the best on the market.

What needs improvement?

The ease of use, or ease of management, could be improved.

There are many improvements all the time on the solution. There is no one thing that I would mention. IBM invests a lot of money to improve the tool and maintain it. There are improvements all the time happening in different areas.

I've worked with IBM products since 1989.

The solution is stable. No technical issues have ever occured.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is quite complex. Nothing is simple on the platform. Deployment times depend on the extent of the organization. Different tests need to be done: unique tests, integration tests, user acceptance, performance, etc.

There are specialists on-premises that work for the bank and they handle everything themselves.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

The solution is suitable for big organizations, big financial institutions, government, ministries, the army, insurance companies, etc. It's not for small end-users.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

The learning curve for the Db2 specialist is high. To become a specialist, under production level, takes two years. It's a complex product.