IBM Db2 Warehouse on Cloud Review

You can store data in the cloud and use the database as a MPP server.

What is most valuable?

I like that the dashDB solution is built on DB2 technology. This means that you can use all the features of a DB2 database, but outsource all the hardware and software maintenance. Cloud solutions/services are the big thing for the future. IBM has provided users with the ability to store data in the cloud with the option to use the database as a MPP server.

How has it helped my organization?

The organization (a customer of ours) has used it to create a sort of data hub to use as a foundation for other business applications, such as self-service BI and online web services.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in backup and authentication.

It needs the ability to increase the number of retained backups to more than 2 days. This is a limitation. Also, the ability to connect an AD namespace to the login of dashDB is a missing feature.

I’ve used dashDB for approximately 8 months.

At the start of the project, the customer had difficulty with connecting to the dashDB instance. After IBM recreated the dashDB instance, it worked fine.

We did not encounter any scalability issues during the project.

I rate technical support a 3.5/5 or average.

Implementing dashDB was a requirement from the customer.

IBM did the initial setup, so we weren't involved in this process.

We evaluated Microsoft and Amazon cloud services.

What other advice do I have?

Look closely at the limitations of the product (cloud is never the same as on-premise solutions) and align them with the requirements of the project. If this is acceptable, then switch.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We have a partnership with IBM.
More IBM Db2 Warehouse on Cloud reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle Autonomous Data Warehouse
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Amazon, Snowflake Computing and others in Cloud Data Warehouse. Updated: March 2021.
474,857 professionals have used our research since 2012.