IBM Db2 Warehouse Review

Abundant features, scalable, straightforward install, but stability needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for general data warehouse purposes, high volume data, and large selection queries.

What is most valuable?

Some of the best features are stored procedures, parallelism, and different indexing strategies.

What needs improvement?

The areas of the solution that is needing the most improvement are separating compute from storage, elasticity, which means scaling up and then retracting.

I have been using the solution since version 1.3.

The solution has been fairly stable, though we did have some issues. I would rate the stability an eight out of ten. We had to bring in the DB2 support to help us resolve some issues in the system.

It is scalable, we run it on their hardware too for best optimization. There are hundreds of people using the solution. We do both ad hoc queries, plus we do services workload against it.

When we did have to use technical support It took longer than it should have to resolve the issues, but once they got the right people, they were fairly well informed.

The setup was straightforward.

We did the full deployment of the solution which took several months to get the first project out.

In a traditional on-prem database, in a data warehouse, the solution is probably on the expensive side.

What other advice do I have?

It would be beneficial to make sure you have trained skillsets.

I rate IBM Db2 Warehouse a seven out of ten.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Microsoft, Oracle and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.