IBM Disaster Recovery Services Review

Quite stable with good scalability for large organizations but the recovery system infrastructure could be better

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for a lot of general corporate purposes. We handle various finance programs and are doing data recovery based on the IBM solution.

What is most valuable?

The latest IBM environments are very powerful for our clients. They often use it as the first solution of choice in key business applications.

What needs improvement?

The infrastructure level of IBM's recovery systems could be improved.

I've been using the solution for over 30 years.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't run into any issues that cause crashes, bugs or glitches.

The solution works well for very large organizations. It can scale quite well.

The technical support is very good. We do have good communication with them. We have a very strong relationship with them due to the fact that we are a major partner in China. Our relationship with IBM is very good for both clients and partners.

The initial setup was complex. You need a lot of space on the OS and user levels.  It's very complex for the design staff during the installation. You need a lot of time to set everything up. Then, you need a lot of tools to demonstrate this solution. The work is complex for customers.

Depending on the environment, deployment can take up to three months for a department.

Based on the size of the infrastructure and how many servers you are setting up, or if you have a big storage move, you might need anywhere from three to ten people to deploy the solution.

We're an integrator. We handle the implementation for our clients.

The pricing of the solution is based on the scale of the project or business. It's based on the server amount and the amount of data being stored. For our client, based on the amount of data they have, it may be around $20,000 USD. It could get much more expensive on the customer side.

There are additional costs as well. For example, a client would have to pay for technical support on top of other costs.

What other advice do I have?

My company is an IBM partner.

We deal with this solution more on the service-side and in terms of offering up service parts. We do data protection too and handle recovery services for clients.

We use the on-premises solution as the cloud is not allowed in China.

I'd recommend the solution. However, it depends on the system a company has. It's not ideal for every type of company.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. The system overall could use some improvements here and there.