IBM ECM Review

Improved the electronic routing of our information

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for policy-holder documents. We're using Enterprise Content Manager 8.5 and we're serving up our documents to our agents so that they can service our customers.

We also have applications that are internal, for different financial and personal products lines, for internal workers. We're serving up their documents so that they can do their jobs.

It has been performing really well. We're enjoying the suite of products that we have.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely improved the way our organization functions. It has made a lot of our in-person interactions with paper a lot more seemless; we don't have to have as many touch-points. It has improved the electronic routing of information.

What is most valuable?

The scalability, that we're able to display our documents to so many people.

What needs improvement?

I think it's already getting away from Java applets. A lot of our users struggle with keeping up to date with Java versioning, so a lot of the functions they're doing, like printing, emailing, and even some of the viewing, they're struggling with.

It seems to be stable enough. We have not had any issues to date.

I have not used technical support for this solution.

We've always been an IBM shop in the ECM space.

We have a very strict vendor selection process. We have vendor management come in. A lot of it has to do with the security and the stability of the company, and where we see it going.

I was involved in the initial setup of IBM Content Navigator, that was my first project coming into ECM, replacing Webby with Content Navigator. It was pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of 10. There is always room for a little bit of improvement, but it's functioning very well.

I would recommend not going with ECM 8 and going with FileNet instead. It seems like that is the future of the lower-volume repository. It seems like they are moving away from ECM 8.5 so I think we're going to have some challenges coming up, getting off of that technology.