IBM Engineering Workflow Management Review

I value the links from stories/defects to code via the tasks and change sets. It is a complex product and the customization is not well understood by many.

What is most valuable?

I really value the links from stories/defects to code via the tasks and change sets.

How has it helped my organization?

• We’ve used it to drive our move to DevOps primarily because the CI tools were pre-built by another team.
  • The strong links between work-item tickets and change-sets have enabled simple reporting of changes to software.
  • This adds business value by reducing time-to-market.

What needs improvement?

• Complex client application and web interface that try to do it all.
  • Plans are built on the browser: They cannot be copied to other media, such as Excel. They cannot be exported.
  • Source control via streams is a bar to acceptance for many developers who have become used to SVN or Git.
  • The number of active users seems to be low. This is reflected in the lack of easy-to-access online resources.

I have used it for two years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I have not contacted IBM for help. Generally, it’s a complex product and the customization is not well understood by many.

We used a different solution. The move enabled the team to leverage work already done to create a fully continuous integration process.

The initial setup was not that simple. There was a steep learning curve for first time users and even steeper when configuring workflow and work item types.

We did not evaluate other options. I personally have used a number of others in the past including:

• QC
  • SourceSafe
  • CVS
  • SVN
  • JIRA

I’ve found JIRA with SVN to be the easiest to pick up from scratch. On the downside, there are number of tools that need to be installed to enable true end-to-end control and traceability during software development, test, and deployment.

What other advice do I have?

Consider the Atlassian tool set and an open source control system.