IBM Engineering Workflow Management Review

We can use a agile or traditional development process.

What is most valuable?

Change management fully integrates with configuration management. Also, this product can work with almost any software development process you use: agile or traditional.

What needs improvement?

The search functionality for files in branches (streams) is very weak.

I have used Rational Team Concert for five years.

The product runs very nice and is stable.

We have not had any scalability issues. The product is as ready for small, centralized projects as it is ready for complex projects.

IBM usually has decent technical support.

We previously used SVN, Mantis, and others. The main reason we switched is integration. RTC has many functions integrated within a single product.

Initial setup is a bit complex. You need to install and configure the WebSphere application server, create databases, setup some environment variables, and then finally run the product setup. To be fair, the product setup is straightforward, but until you get there, you have to do a lot of adjustments.

It’s not cheap, but it is worth the price. ROI is almost guaranteed.

We did not evaluate alternatives.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product. But it is very important that you define your software development process very well before starting to use this tool. Otherwise, you will be automating a problem.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a IBM Business Partner.
2 visitors found this review helpful