IBM Engineering Workflow Management Review

Gives us work distribution among team members, but teams need clearer pictures of resource availability in charts and dashboards

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using it for project planning, resource engagement, load distribution, and work allocation. Work distribution among team members and accountability for completion with a clearer picture. This represents the outcome clearly, along with measures to be taken, if any.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization up to an extent, but it certainly has a lot of areas for improvement related to resource management. Teams need clearer pictures of resource availability in charts and dashboards along with plans. Additionally, the non-availability of a "contributor list" both in plan views and JRS restricts the usability which would have played a greater role for our teams.

What is most valuable?

• Plan views
  • Reporting (JRS)
  • A clear picture of engagement
  • Resource orientation
  • Chartered views

Plans clearly represent the team's availability with load balance, if any. Reporting in certain formats along with live data is certainly helpful to present to higher management without the need to generate them repeatedly.

What needs improvement?

A lot of room for improvement:

• Report generation (.xls, .pdf) from filters.
  • "Contributor list" and "enumeration list" in plans and reporting.
  • Extending JavaScript support.
  • Team availability calendar on dashboard and plans.
  • Automatic subscription of users to dedicated types of work items, but not all of them.
  • Plan modifications from widgets to dashboards, if the option is displayed.

More than five years.

The application is highly stable, though the environment stability depends on the architecture used for deployment. Considerations should be given during architecture design, review, and planning sessions.

The solution is highly scalable.

I have worked with Rational Synergy and Rational Change in the system development domain. It certainly has all the added advantages over its predecessors.

Setup is straightforward. However, there are too many possible permutations and combinations, though it allows for good flexibility.

Setup will include simple application deployment, database, application server, and LDAP configuration.

Implementation was the vendor team in collaboration with an in-house team. It was quite a learning experience, although the process was smooth. It needed considerable thought for deployment, and consideration for scalability and performance, similar to any other solution.

It's an expensive investment to make, so the decision should be driven on individual requirements.

Licensing: The solution cost is high and should be brought down to increase competition.

We evaluated PTC Integrity and TFS.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it is a good solution. It is flexible and adaptable.

Consider reviews before investing a fortune on it.

Other