IBM FileNet Review

We digitize our content, place it into the repository, and share it across multiple teams. The problem with the technical support is that it is time zone-based.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the flexibility and broad capabilities. It covers anything a small company might need, all the way to what a large enterprise may require; a full feature set.

How has it helped my organization?

For us, it manages the transformation from a paper-based organization to a digital-based organization. What we do is, we digitize all our content, place it into the FileNet repository, which allows us to share the content across multiple teams. This is something we could not do when we had a paper-based organization. You can't share a piece of paper unless you ship it around by couriers or something.

What needs improvement?

There are no additional features that I would like to see included in the next release. I need to implement the existing features. We are not yet using the solution to its full capabilities.

It is very stable. It's mission critical. We run it 24/7, 365.

It scales very well. We just keep adding on capacity. We have about 750 million documents in it, with no problems.

Technical support is not bad. But the problem with the technical support is that it is time zone-based. So, if we have an issue that is brought across a number of time zones, this will happen: We'll start working with one technical resource; we'll finally start getting working on it when, all of a sudden that technical resource has to leave, and we have to start with the next technical resource in a different time zone. Then, we have to bring them up to speed with what we're doing, and so we lose a little bit of time. The fact that the same resource isn't on it for the entire problem sometimes is concerning.

We've always had this. When I came to this organization, we've always had this solution.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

I didn’t look at other vendors, because I was already here. But I would look at FileNet and Documentum. I would look at a wide range of content management solutions, and then we just narrow it down from there.

We chose IBM because we have a longstanding relationship with them, and we're trying to buy an integrated stack. So, instead of buying just an ECM solution, we're looking at content ingestion, content management, and content generation. The stack, and not just the one off solution.

When selecting a vendor, my most important criteria are the solution, the technical support, the thought leadership, and cost.

What other advice do I have?

Evaluate FileNet. Find out what capabilities you need. You may find that FileNet has way more than you'll require.

You need a lot of senior technical resources to get the best bang out of the buck for this. They're not easy to find. The solution is highly capable, but it also is highly complex.

More IBM FileNet reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about IBM FileNet. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.