IBM FileNet Review

improves the time when providing customer service to our constituents

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM FileNet to store state government-related documents, and conduct workflow processes to channel information between the knowledge workers.

We are very happy with the efficiencies that it has gained, and the customer service that we are able to provide back to the citizens.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with a solid place to store our records in a structure where we will be able to find those records efficiently. It improves the time when providing customer service to our constituents.

What is most valuable?

• It is a stable environment.
  • It is feature rich.
  • It' has a good user interface.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see, in FileNet, the ability to manage video and audio.

More than five years.

For the most part, the solution is very stable. Once it is a fully-baked application, it is stable.

It scales very well. We are housing 89 million records and 16 terabytes, and the performance is fine.

We have not had to use their technical support. We have done a lot of the support ourselves internally. We have not had to use professional services for a very long time.

We were not using anything in the document management/document capture industry until we purchased FileNet.

We were running out of physical space to maintain records, and the cost of processing documents manually had gotten to be too high. In an effort to reduce our physical storage space and our costs, we decided that a solution was needed.

The biggest benefit to purchasing it was prior knowledge. The prior knowledge of the product: It did what it was supposed to do. It provided a stable environment, a good way to put your documents in, and get your documents out.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

I was not part of the evaluation process.

What other advice do I have?

We have been running FileNet for 18 years. It has been a very good relationship.

This product requires that you take a long look at it, because it provides a good solution. It is used across many industries, and it has a solid reputation.

Most important criteria during the evaluation process: Familiarity with the product. The people who were doing the selection had a prior knowledge of the product from a prior company, and it had a very good reputation at that point, even 20 years ago, and the product has maintained that reputation.