IBM FileNet Review

Enables us to index and search images, but needs better analytical capabilities

What is our primary use case?

It's an image repository for our medical documents, our claims, etc. They do all kinds of stuff. They put checks there. It's an indexing software.

How has it helped my organization?

It has added more indexing capability on images and enabled us to search them.

What is most valuable?

Stores a lot of documents. It's a good repository for that.

What needs improvement?

What I would want to see is heavier analytical ability within it, but we've purchased the cognitive piece of it. I haven't seen that implemented yet, but that would be the future; I think it may already be there but I just haven't seen it yet. Something like indexing for unstructured text.

More than five years.

At this time, it has improved, but it wasn't that stable not that long ago.

It seems fine, it's dynamic. It works with all the different business needs that we have for it.

I have not used tech support for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor the important criteria are

• cost
  • ease in getting something accomplished
  • not over-promising
  • trustworthy.

I would rate it a seven out of 10. That rating is because of stability problems when I first had it - and then, I'm not entirely sure our company has set it up right. Sometimes things are only as good as the people who run it. It's like going to a restaurant. It's only as good as the chef. So you can go to Burger King and have a pretty good burger or you can go down the road, it just depends on how good the chef is. So I think there's some of that dynamic. I don't know that much because I didn't mess with it like at that level. But it's a fine product. We've used it for a very long time.

The advice I would to a colleague at another company who's researching this or another similar solution would be to check how data index with one another, and the communication back and forth in being able to find your files, if you have a large data set like we do.