IBM FileNet Review

Takes the manual work out of our billing process

What is our primary use case?

We use FileNet to store all our content. We have a quarter of a billion documents stored and it works great for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It has taken the manual work out of our billing process, and automated it.

What is most valuable?

We actually use it in conjunction with BPM to auto-bill our customers, based on when the bill gets checked into FileNet.

What needs improvement?

I would love it if single sign-on was a lot easier to set up. That's the most difficult part of it.

We have it load-balanced, so we don't really have outages. With HA it's very stable.

It could be easier to scale, but in our implementation we can build up a new server and a whole new environment in about a day and a half.

It would be nice if they could make it like containers are working in Kubernetes to auto-scale based on demand.

I've used it quite often. Technical support could be better, more responsive in a timely manner. I've learned to actually open up tickets earlier in the morning because you seem to get better help than if you wait until the afternoon.

We didn't have a previous solution. We went with FileNet as our content repository from the beginning.

When selecting a vendor we like to have somebody that can provide good support and a good business relationship; we like to build relationships with our vendors.

It's very complex. We have a lot of pieces that tie together with our FileNet, like  domains. So it's complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would give it an eight out of 10. What it needs to be a 10 is easier to configure single sign-on.

I would recommend that when you are doing the initial setup that you use fewer metadata fields. The fewer you use the better off you're going to be in the long run, for performance.