IBM FileNet Review

The API's extensibility and new user interface are its most valuable features

What is our primary use case?

We provide the content management platform for the company for official and unofficial records for all business processes.

How has it helped my organization?

We consolidate the content management. We've become a central repository for the company and are able to migrate content from our business units into the central service, especially as we acquire other companies. Thus, we can simplify our technology portfolio.

What is most valuable?

The standard spaced interfaces and features that any content management platform would provide, plus the API's extensibility.

We are also moving into using the newer user experience provided with the product.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have more automation of rollout solutions. We've done some of this on our own. We've created what we call a repository builder that will build out a standardized solution meeting the needs of most of our customers initially. This has saved us a tremendous amount of time. We did this using the APIs the product provides. They just don't always provide those same sorts of tools.

The user interface is also extensible through programming. Although, it's not easy to set up, so some improvements along these lines would be good too.

More than five years.

At its core, it's stable. In its basic implementation, it's stable.

Scalability is where we run into some challenges because we use it to scale where most customers don't. Therefore, we sometimes have unique problems or find some product limitations that other customers don't.

They're always very responsive. Though, sometimes we have to dig a little to work through the layers of technical support in order to get the people with the right level of expertise.

It was a fairly straigtforward implementation.

Though it has so many options, we have to be discerning about what we will deploy because each option will require additional support for our customers.

We have also looked at Documentum, OpenText, and SharePoint.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the product with the its core and standard interfaces.

We purchased our product directly through IBM.

Our company continues to reassess what it's doing with content management. We're involved enough in the sort of richness of the feature set that it would be difficult to replace.