IBM FileNet Review

Optimal data capture and case manager features

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is document storage and retrieval - Workflow.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM FileNet has given us a much better platform than our previous ECM platform. It's more stable, more flexible and more powerful. The only downside is that it takes a dedicated staff to maintain it and the learning curve is pretty steep.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable include the Data Capture and Case Manager features.

What needs improvement?

Simplifying both training and maintenance would be an improvement.

We did not have any stability issues.

It's very scalable.

IBM technical support is pretty good.

We were previously using a different solution but the previous platform was obsolete.

The initial setup was fairly complex. You will need help from IBM or a third party.

We implemented through a vendor team. We did not have a great vendor experience initially based on not having a clear set of deliverables.

Hard to calculate since the old system was so bad.  A couple of improvements were noted immediately:

1.  Training time was cut for the new system by 80%,

2.  The business unit was able to absorb a 30% increase in workload with adding staff or overtime, and

3. Processing errors dropped by 40%.

1. It will be more expensive than estimated to setup.
  2. You will need to double the staff while you are running the old system and installing the new system.
  3. Depending on the number of documents to be migrated, make sure you understand the potentially massive amount of time and effort required to migrate the existing content to the new platform.

We looked at multiple vendors: Perceptive, Hyland, and Dell EMC.

What other advice do I have?

Do not underestimate the staffing component or you will fail.

On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the best I would give IBM FileNet an 8 out of 10.