IBM FlashSystem 9100 NVMe Review

Scalable with good visualization and flash copy capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the database.

How has it helped my organization?

The high performance and high availability improved our overall processes.

What is most valuable?

The visualization, flash copy, and HyperSwap are the solution's most valuable features. The visualization in particular is stellar. It's very, very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Other vendors have included a block and file system. IBM doesn't include a file system. And yet, it's very necessary for all organizations' networks to have file systems. We have other systems for the file system, however, ideally, we would like to have one system with all the features we need instead of having different solutions for certain aspects.

Although I had been using the solution previously, I stopped using the solution about six months ago.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable. We never had a problem with bugs or glitches. It never froze on us.

The system is very scalable. It's actually too much for our entire organization. We don't need the level of scalability offered.

At the time of the implementation, the FlashSystem had over 5,000 users.

Technical support is very good. Overall, I'd rate it nine out of ten. They could guarantee the time it would take to provide answers, however, so that we know when to expect results and aren't waiting on them to respond.

In terms of replacing parts, it would be nice if they could say something like "this will take us two days or two hours". It would help us manage expectations for turnaround.

The initial setup is very easy and very quick. It's not too complex. We found it to be rather straightforward.

The advantage of FlashSystem is the stellar visualization of data integration. We deployed the solution very quickly due to the fact that, when the system was implemented, the migration was transparent. The tools make everything very clear for the user.

What other advice do I have?

IBM FlashSystem is an excellent product. That said, I don't recommend it to vendors due to the fact that IBM doesn't have a file system. For the operator, it's difficult to work with different types of storage. Again, we need to have one solution, one software that encapsulates everything, and right now, IBM is missing the file system.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at a nine.

Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Dell EMC, NetApp and others in NVMe All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.