IBM FlashSystem Review
The most valuables features are the virtualization of the storage and the compression.

Improvements to My Organization

The benefit to our organization is primarily the capacity savings. It compresses the data so we can see something like a four to one compression.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are, of course, the virtualization of the storage, the performance, and the compression.

Room for Improvement

With regards to the IBM V7000 storage system, where we have multiple tiers of storage, a heat map would show I/O distribution across the tiers of storage. I'd like to see some type of heat map reporting on the management console. It would be nice to see something like that. It may already be in the new release, but I'm not sure. The current release may have that already.

We had no major issues with stability. It's pretty stable.

We actually upgraded it, adding expansion shelves. It was fairly simple.

I can't remember what I called the technical support for. Generally, I think their support gets the job done. It's sufficient. We have a premium support account with IBM, so we have a dedicated support person to help us get it through.

I was involved in the initial setup, but we had a business partner that did the actual physical connections. I helped with some of the configurations. It was pretty straightforward.

Other Solutions Considered

Our shop historically had been an EMC shop. We had the IBM storage put in just a couple of years ago. I believe management brought it in based on price, in order to get price competition between the vendors. We were primarily looking at considerations of cost, reliability, and customer service.

Other Advice

I would just tell them to give it a try. Benchmark it and compare it with the other vendors. Talk to some customers about their experiences.