IBM Guardium Data Protection Review

Good reporting and supports data-level access control

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and IBM Guardium is one of the database products that we implement for our clients. Our customers for Guardium are mostly banks and they use it for PCI compliance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the reporting and data-level access control.

The interface is easy to use and the learning curve is not very steep.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution is quite high for smaller organizations, so they should release a version that is affordable for small and medium-sized businesses.

I have been working with IBM Guardium for about a year and a half.

The stability depends, in part, on how much the client can give the appliance in terms of resources. Overall, I think that it's a really stable appliance, as long as you keep it up to date with all of the patches and updates.

I have done at least one really large-scale deployments and my impression is that it scales really well.

I have not personally interacted with IBM's technical support. Normally, my seniors in the company would do that.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took about a month for me to get started on it. I used the resources from the security learning academy to begin.

The length of time required for deployment depends on the scale and the internal processes. The largest that I have done took more than a year to complete, although these clients have lots of stuff happening in their environment that had to be taken care of. At times, things like this put us off of our schedule.

We implement and deploy this solution for our clients. People from the client's side are also required. We have the Guardium Administrator, who is usually the project lead. The client will have database administrators, network administrators, IT staff to set up the appliance, and somebody from information security.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to start small, with a test environment, and then scale it up. This way, if there is a fault at the beginning then it won't be multiplied by the time you have a larger deployment and are fully integrated. In this way, you will see if it meets the requirements.

Overall, this is a wonderful product.

11.0
More IBM Guardium Data Protection reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about IBM Guardium Data Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.