IBM Guardium Data Protection Review

An easy-to-deploy solution with good price, compatibility, stability, and scalability

What is our primary use case?

One of my customers is a company that manages telecommunications in Mexico. It is a very important company, and they use Guardium for compliance purposes. They use it to comply with PCI, for example.

We have on-premises and cloud deployments. We are currently deploying a customer's environment in Microsoft Azure with SQL Server.

How has it helped my organization?

One of our customers uses IBM Security Guardium to discover the production time and to know the transactions about their databases.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the accelerator. It has a predefined report for PCI SOX compliance and other compliances.

What needs improvement?

The most important requirements for us are integration with new database solutions and the ability to manage things like Jailbreak or something like that.

Its reduction feature can also be improved. It has a functionality called reduction, which is like masking data, but it is just a replacement of characters. Sometimes the customer needs more than this. It would be good if it was more advanced or complete.

We also have a problem with this solution because the IBM aggregator isn't working very well. IBM has created big data intelligence for Guardium, and occasionally, customers need three or four months of data, but they can't run it from the collectors.

It can have a better dashboard and more pre-defined use cases for those customers who don't have any idea about data protection or don't have expert personnel in this area. For example, they can include five use cases for banks and five use cases for retail.

I have been using this solution for eight or nine years. I have been using Guardium before it was bought by IBM.

Its stability is very good. It is quite available all the time.

Its scalability is perfect. In Mexico, we did most of the implementations for medium and large customers. Our company implemented this solution for banks and telecommunication companies.

IBM's technical support is good, but it can be improved. They can improve the response time for the tickets and the availability for the resolution of the tickets.

It is not complex now. Prior to version 11, in general, the console and the environment were not good. They were bad, but they are good in version 11. The deployment duration varies, and complete integration in Windows can take three weeks to two months.

Its cost is good. With the new metric of licensing, such as PDO not being available now, customers are expecting a good price for the solution.

Oracle Vault, Guardium, and Imperva are the three main solutions that clients consider. Easy deployment and good compatibility with all the solutions that customers have gives Guardium an advantage over other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

We would recommend this solution to others. It is a good solution at a good price, and your data is invaluable.

I would rate IBM Guardium Data Protection a nine out of ten.

More IBM Guardium Data Protection reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about IBM Guardium Data Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
479,894 professionals have used our research since 2012.