IBM Guardium Data Protection Review

It provides visibility for the DB activity and secures the customer information in the DB from any misuse.

What is most valuable?

All the features are useful for the customer and they have many use cases, especially for DB protection.

They have a module called Redaction. For query rewriting, it can protect some data stored in the table by the DB admin to return the masked data, in case he tries to view our customer personal information such as phone numbers,names, account number etc.

In some cases it blocked the bad user from deleting or copying data , For example, in use cases to block creation of the users on the DB without filing forum/ following the company policy.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides the customer to help secure the DB, especially for the multi-DB environments. It also provides visibility for the DB activity, secures the customer information in the DB, from any privilege misuse by an insider.

What needs improvement?

The FAM module needs to be improved. This module is for file activity monitoring and here if IBM would focus on marketing this part, it will be good as the end-user can monitor any configuration file in servers and not only the DB.

I have used this solution for around six years.

Some issues have been experienced but no big issues as such. The solution is 90% stable.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I would give the technical support a 9/10.

The setup was very easy. It took us around one day to set it up and running.

You should make sure of the DB size before you buy the product. It is also important to define the requirement very carefully as it could affect the sizing. You should make sure of the monitoring mode that they would like to apply.

We looked at the Oracle and Imperva solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Take care of the scope and the monitoring mode. Also, if the size of the DB is high then do not do it over virtual.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're resellers.