IBM Guardium Data Protection Review

We used it to harden databases by defining policies for alerting and blocking access to prohibited and restricted data.

What is most valuable?

Database logging and audit functions are the most valuable features. In some fields like banking, it's very important to be aware of the actions of database users, and ensure that those without the permission to access information do not access it.

How has it helped my organization?

We succeeded at hardening our customer databases by defining policies for alerting and blocking access to prohibited and restricted data.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to upgrade appliances within major versions without needing to rebuild the appliance. Once, I tried to upgrade a Guardium Appliance from v9.5 to v10 and there was no available patch for that. Therefore, the solution was to back up the appliance data, rebuild the appliance with the v10 image and then restore the data. This procedure is highly risky, because you can lose all the data if the restoration does not succeed. Installing a patch is much easier and there is no data loss risk!

I have used it for 2 years.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

Technical support is unsatisfactory. IBM Support failed to provide me with the v9-v10 upgrade patch as it is suggested on a upgrade roadmap technote.

Back when I was a developer, I developed an audit trail module in Java/JEE. Obviously, it was not as sophisticated as Guardium.

Initial setup was straightforward.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options. We implement exclusively IBM products.

What other advice do I have?

At first, IBM Guardium may seem complicated, but once you learn the basics, it becomes simple to use.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're IBM business partners.