IBM Guardium Data Protection Review

We use it to create smarter controls for monitoring data

What is our primary use case?

Database monitoring. At the moment, we are using it to do a lot of data discovery from a data classification for structured data.

What is most valuable?

Its ability to find data. Once I find data, I can leverage it to perform specific select statements against PII data and do smarter controls rather than monitoring the entire database.

What needs improvement?

My only negative thing on Guardium would be it is too smart. I am struggling getting through to social. In an ideal world, I would be able to populate every US zip code and have Guardium find the number, then identify it as a zip code. Right now, I have to pull it down and compare it.

Less than one year.

It is a stable product. We just finished upgrading to version 10, and had no issues with the upgrade. We are excited about working with the newest version.

It should meet our need going forward as it is a huge product. We have scanned 7000 SQL databases and 1500 Oracle Databases.

We have a strong partnership with IBM. Their tech support is very knowledgeable.

The initial setup was before me.

We are doing what we call a reboot of the product. We are calling it the Guardium reboot project. We are starting back with the classifications to understand what controls we are implementing, thus stepping back to step forward. We are doing this because in the beginning we moved forward by getting everything monitored without being smart about what data was monitored.

We implemented the most recent upgrade in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: At the end of the day, it would have to be the support and relationship. There are a lot of smart people out there building products which do things. However, not everyone can use them, and without having someone to call, it is sort of its own disadvantage.

More IBM Guardium Data Protection reviews from users