IBM Guardium Review

The query rewrite and redaction functions provide flexible/dynamic control of our data.

What is most valuable?

The database activity monitoring and firewall features of Guardium address our database security requirements. The combination of policies, alerts, baselines, reports, and query rewrite functions are easy to use and provide enough room for customization.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us more visibility and control of our business functions. The query rewrite and redaction functions also provide flexible/dynamic control of our data, which is indeed helpful for complex scenarios.

What needs improvement?

The backend database requires improvement for faster searching. This makes it easier for analysts to investigate older data.

I have been using Guardium since mid-2013.

I did not encounter any major stability issues in the last three years, except a couple of minor issues with S-TAP agents.

The solution is easily scalable.

I mostly get quick support although I did not encounter any complex error yet. I rate technical support at 7/10.

The installation and configuration of a collector is simple and straightforward. The ease of deployment is dependent on whether you choose agent-based monitoring or network traffic, SPAN-based monitoring.

The Guardium licensing is based on PVU and as a result, the solution became a bit costly. I am not aware of the licensing and pricing model of its competitors. But if the focus is pricing, then one can consider other options as well.

We were considering DbProtect but at that time, DbProtect had no support for Teradata.

What other advice do I have?

If you have enough budget for database security, you must evaluate this product for your use cases.

1 Comment