IBM Guardium Data Protection Review

Makes database monitoring more visible to the business, helps with GDPR/SOX compliance

What is our primary use case?

Database activity monitoring.

Its performance is good, most of the time.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is that it's made database monitoring more visible to the business, creating more conversations about how we should do it better. So it's increased the visibility and discussion.

It also helps us with GDPR and SOX compliance and just looking at specific policies around; protecting sensitive data.

We haven't integrated it with other systems we use.

In terms of saving us time and money, I'm not sure if Guardium does. I know we spend more time and money to cover monitoring, this is something we didn't do before, so I think it's more about the capabilities it's given us.

What is most valuable?

The architecture and the robustness of the data it produces.

Regarding advanced features, I'm using enforcement in the policies. In the future I would like to do more classification.

What needs improvement?

More cloud support.

For the most part, it's pretty stable. We've had some issues recently that we're working through, on the agent software that runs on the databases.

The scalability is good.

I would say tech support is about a seven out of 10.

It can be complex. The documentation is in so many different locations, and a lot of times we have to leverage support and higher level resources to figure out the right steps to take.

What other advice do I have?

Our most important criteria when selecting a vendor are stability and architecture.

I rate this solution a nine out of 10 because there are a few things I'm working through that I would like to see improved, mostly around the stability on the agent software side, working with the database vendors.

Regarding advice, I would recommend you use it and that you try to leverage IBM's support and services as much as possible to help get through the initial installation and configuration.